Face to Face with Magritte, Inspired by Rene Magritte by k Madison Moore Pennsylvania Artist


Face to Face with Magritte
©kMadisonMooreMkM2012

14 x 18 Interiors Painting

Painting with The Masters
Art within Art Series

Sold - Commission

Click Here for Larger, Detailed View


I really enjoy every painting that I paint. However, there are some
that just really excite me and this is one of them. The more I painted
the more excited I got. This one was so much fun that I didn't want it
to end so it took me much longer than I expected.

I researched several paintings and elements from Magritte that
the collector informed me she liked of his. I was able to use my
impressions of the elements that she wanted from about 11 Magritte
 paintings. I really never know what I will come up with.

He must have enjoyed what he painted so much. They are all so 
much fun and always make me wonder...."What was he thinking?"

The main painting that she wanted to focus on was Magritte's
La Repoduction Interdite, or better known as The Man in The Mirror 
which became the theme for this painting.

It is actually a portrait of Edward James who was a famous collector and 
patron of the Surrealists. There is a denial of logic in the image, which raises 
questions about how much Magritte knows (or wants us to believe he
 knows) about the sitter’s identity.
Magritte plays a kind of game with reality. The image is evidently
 refined yet seems to also be a void of some kind. It is very still and calm 
yet threatening.

I thought it would be fun to add Magritte's Lounging Lady and have
her in the same juxtaposition basically looking back at him and then
in the foreground look at you!
Hence the title: "Face to Face with Magritte"

Confusing Perception:  When you create an odd juxtaposition that causes the
 viewer to question the reality of what they see. 
Transparency is often used to achieve this.

Contact Me to design a special Art within Art Painting
just for you.

Vist my Portfolio for more in This Series
and my other Series

Comments