In Georgia's Mind, Inspired by Georgia O'Keefe by k madison moore



In Georgia's Mind
©kMadisonMooreMkM2011

14 x 14 Oil Painting on Canvas
Click The Photo to see My Lightbox

At one time and for a very long time men dominated the artists
world. Georgia O’Keeffe not only carved out a significant place
 for women painters in an area of the American art community
 that had been exclusive to and is still dominated by men, but
also she had become one of America’s most celebrated cultural
 icons well before her death at age 98 in 1986.

I admire Georgia O'Keefe and her beautiful style. Her freedom
 of spirt shows in all of her work. She made a huge break
through for women in the art world. I want to pay a really
nice homage to her but wanted to keep the painting minimal
with impact and drama.
I found this great black and white photo by photographer
Alfred Stieglitz . He thought it would be fun to show those same
lovely hands at an older age, The photo was taken in 1966 as part
of a Life Magazine story by John Leongard.


Originally she was sitting on a bed but I wanted her to have
somewhat of a look of royalty so I thought this high back chair
would do the trick. Georgia loved to paint very large and very
close up on her subjects and expressed this technique all the
 time with her abstract floral paintings. I think my impression
of her floral abstracts expressed the magnitude of her work.
Since I also decide to use her Black and White Rose for the floor
of the painting, I thought it would be great to leave Georgia
in black and white as in the photo, somewhat monochromatic.

Monochromatic: containing or using only one color:
Although this composition is not totally monochromatic I think
I captured the dramatic expression of the painting that I was going for
as my homage to Georgia O'Keefe.
I wonder though...what book is she holding in the photo?









Comments